Saturday, June 20, 2020

Lesson Learnt From The Sale Of My Car


 

I own a MG 120 TF  convertible sports car which I have had for 11 years. It has been my weekend car and used mainly for pleasure. However over the years I have had various mechanical problems with it, especially in over-heating. I had it seen by three mechanics who, to date, have not been able to solve the problem. I decided to put it on sale a year ago without much success. This year I decided to drop the price and had one young buyer. He saw the car and decided he wanted it. I was not too sure if it was wise for him to use it for everyday use. However he was adamant about buying it and I was relieved to sell it. The car did not get him home because it over heated. So the sale was cancelled and the car taken to the garage for further repairs.

 

Reflecting on the whole experience, I thought I would share some insights. The car looks beautiful and has spent most of its life under cover in a garage. I have seen it as my pride and joy despite all the repairs and expenses over the years. We have had some miraculous escapes and experiences together. However the outside did not match the inside. The inside was still troubled. We too can look good on the outside but the true test is how do we look on the inside. Character is what makes the difference between survival and trouble. God was teaching me that all that looks good on the outside may not be so on the inside. How much time do we spend on projecting a nice image but we are struggling inside with torment. What if others could see our inside and not just the handsome outside? 

 

God is after a relationship with us which is full of faith and trust in Him. There are no short cuts. We are either for Him or against Him. Superficial relationships to please people will not last in times of stress. We need to regularly spend time with Him in fellowship to build up our inner selves. What proportion of our time do we spend in intimate communion with Him?. Will He say I know you and you are mine, good and faithful child?. I think the young man was taken up by the looks of the car and soon realised he had bought a lemon. Let us grow in our character by spending time with Jesus so that we can last the distance.

No comments: