Monday, September 20, 2010

BEHAVIOUR VS ATTITUDE

I like you is a powerful statement to anyone. I like you is more specific then saying I love you. I like you means I like what you like and vice versa. Like is to do with behaviour, love is to do with attitude. When I say I like you, I mean I like the way you behave. Your behaviour is to do with your personality. If you are a clean and tidy person then I like that. If you are laid back and easy going then I like that too. Likes and dislikes are to do with one’s behaviours. They say nothing much about the person. A person is known more by his reactions. This says more about the person’s inner workings then just behaviour. Jesus revealed His inner workings when He gave the beatitudes. These are to do with attitudes. When you can love your enemies and pray for those who curse you, then you know that you are operating like Jesus. I may dislike a behaviour but still love the person. I may dislike the behaviour because it puts someone down in front of others. Behaviours can be modified. Attitudes have to be learnt. I learn to love, give and respect by cultivating this attitude. A bad attitude like prejudice cannot be changed but can be replaced by a new attitude of understanding. This change of attitude will change your behaviour. Change of behaviour on the other hand may not change your attitude. I may not react in anger but still harbour hatred. One is cosmetic change, the other is inner change. Jesus came to change our heart from one of hatred to self and others to love for God and others.

No comments: